Saturday, July 30, 2011

Living Legend Treasures ... look beyond 1st impressions ..."Que me lo den en vida"

It's been my experience that while 1st impressions may be the longest lasting, they aren't always absolute. Its been my experience both on an off the field, where I can remember either giving off or receiving a bad 1st impression, and as a result, either being hated or hating someone. Poor first contact can be hard to overcome, yet on numerous occasions, sometimes quickly, sometimes gradually, a special metamorphosis happens where hate turns into friendship.

One such example of where this happened to me in softball, is my relationship with Central Park Legend Edgar Gonzalez Sr.
Odd Couple
Man did I fucking hate this guy when I first met him. He just wouldn't shut the fuck up as he was definitely one of the most evil hecklers I ever met. In fact we almost threw him out of Inwood the very first time we met him. Never in my wildest dreams could seeing myself becoming friends with him, but that's all changed now - been that way for while actually.

Edgar Sr. is an acquired taste and over the years, I'm glad I've formed a friendship with him. I like seeing him at the ball park as he makes me laugh and I appreciate his knowledge of the game, Back in the 70s and 80s he was considered one of, if not, The Best SS in NYC. Here are some old school pictures of this living legend in his hey day



Another Living Legend who I didn't hate, but gave off an annoying 1st impression to me was Bobby "Larry Merchant" Fishman.

Always witty. 
Always talking. 
Always sarcastic. 

This guy is a one man show, a true piece of work. But again like Edgar Sr over the years I have really grown to like him b/c he's unique, different, and very New York.

Recently, I was lucky (punn intended) enough to get both of these guys together at the same time while I interviewed Bobby


These guys could easily get a TV show together. Classic

In the case of these two living legends, I'm glad 1st impressions weren't the most lasting as they are to be treasured now as el Gran Combo so eloquently sings



"Que me lo den en vida" - translated means give me my accolades/due while I am alive when I can enjoy them, not when it's too late.


You guys are Legends

1 comment:

  1. pop over here Hi would you mind letting me know which hosting company you're using? pop over to this website I've loaded your blog in 3 completely different web browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most. pop over to these guys Can you recommend a good hosting provider at a honest price? page Many thanks, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete