"So God just help me out while I fight through this grievin' process
Trying to process this loss is makin' me nauseous" - Eminem "You're Never Over"
Losing hurts more than winning, but in softball/baseball there is one form of loss that is the most profound.
The loss that hurts the most is not
- A Game - any form of heartbreak sucks but there is something worse in softbal
- Money - sucks to lose, but there is something worse in softball
- A Star Player - key defections are bad but there is something worse in softball
- Your Position/Playing Time no one likes to lose/waste time, but there is something worse in softball
- Bat - no one like to lose their gamer, it's psychological, but there is something worse in softball
- Ethics - a bad reputation sucks but there is something worse in softball
- Friends/Teammates - In general players come and go and almost every winning team has a casualty. I know it sounds cold but there is still something worse in softball
5 weeks ago I lost my glove.
I loved that goddamn ugly abused beaten up piece leather. Lost it after a 54th street championship doubleheader.FUCK!!!!!! FUCK!!!!!!!!! FUCK!!!!!!!! FUCK!!!!!!!!!!
I had it "only" 6 years and just gave it a tune up this spring compliments of glove master Enrique.
Sorry but losing your glove is the brutal as the relationship between a player and glove is personal. I mean c'mon when you put that thing on it's like your joined and the real world doesn't exists anymore. It is clearly a close symbiotic relationship where both the player and glove entirely depend on each other for survival. It becomes part of you and you become a part of it .Once broken/severed its like part of you has died as well.
Losing that glove has to be bad karma punishment from the softball gods
for something bad I've done. A steep penalty to pay from for my sins.
I have a new glove now and breaking it in has been hard. To accelerate symbiosis I've :
- used olive oil on it
- stuck it in hot water
- put it in a microwave
- tied it up
- and used it as much as possible.
Enough cursing - that was Embarrassing.
This new glove depression ain't taking me hostage. There is no easy Re-Boot in regards to building trust and comfort with a new glove. I'm dealing with it.
Symbiosis cannot be rushed, but once you have it treasure it.