Today SBI steps away from softball and looks at the Willie Randolph firing.
At the ridiculous hour of 3:15 ESt, the Mets fired Willie Randolph.
The Mets handled the whole matter in an atrocious matter.
Leaving him out to dry for days on end.
Is their an easy way to fire someone? No Top Ten needed for that - the answer is NO!!
Randolph is a NY guy and for the most part a good guy.
He had a lot of bad luck as a manager - injuries ( Church & Alou) , fluke plays, bullpen failure,
but truth be told he should have been fired after last season's collapse.
He was put in a "Can't Win" position in 2008.
If he got a lead in the division the pressure to not blow it again would have been on him, and if he got off to a slow start he was done.
Well now he's done.
He felt the pressure and his decisions have been horrible for the last few weeks
He's better off getting fired.
Now he looks good because the Mets handled it poorly, he can collect a nice paycheck, and eventually will get a 2nd chance to manage elsewhere.
However, Truth be told he did deserve to get fired.
Top Ten Reasons Randolph Deserves to get Fired
10. The Mets suck - Mangers are hired to be fired.
Don't worry if the Mets still suck under Jerry Manuel, GM Minaya will be gone next.
9. He gets too much of a pass b/c he was a Yankee and as he self proclaims "Is a Winner". judge him on the Mets play - which has been poor.
8. The Collapse - the facts are he was the captain of the Met Titanic ship that sank last year.
7. Under his watch Reyes has regressed. As a former MLB middle infielder Willie was the #1 person in charge of developing Reyes. The defensive regression of Reyes is unbelievable.
6. Manages with no sense of urgency - with his job on the line he takes Johan out with a 4-0 lead while throwing a shutout???? Horrible
5. Handles the bullpen extremely poorly. Wagner 2 inning or 4 out saves? Burns Heilman
4. I hate those horrible subway commercial he did in the past with Joe Torre - embarrassing - take some acting lessons in your spare time Willie
3. "Off the record" Racial comments a few weeks ago - how dumb was that
2. Truth be told at 34-35, The Mets are about to get over 500 and now was the last chance Minaya had an a losing record excuse to fire him. Whatever - this was 9 months too late
and the Number One Reasons Randolph Deserves to get Fired
1. Make goon Met fans happy. The Mets have been getting worse, not better under his watch - Change was needed.
Like Maximus in Gladiator - make the crowd love you.
Win the crowd and ticket sales will continue to be good.