http://sites.google.com/site/inwoodsoftballleague/have gone the Simon & Garfunkel route
and broken up. As previewed earlier this month, http://softballinsider.blogspot.com/2011/03/let-me-make-this-statement-loud-and.html , the Jersey City Weeknight Softball League is off and running as last night was our opening night at Mary Benson Park
West NY squared off against Fiserv to usher in a new softball beginning for me. This league is a tremendous softball growth opportunity, but I would be lying that it was strange running a league without my partner there. While Juan is actually on the team (he ditched me last night - thank god as you will see later), but he's just consultant in this across the river venture. That solo reality hit my yesterday on the following fronts:
- Weather Issues
- Multiple new teams wanting to join at the last minute - *** good promising stuff ***
- Light issues - they better turn on for the 8pm start. They did - whew
- Field Maintenance issues - at 4pm I bought a broom in ghetto ass pharmacy in Jersey City and scraped water out of the home plate area. Ugly but effective.
- Current League Member Questions - The customer always comes 1st
- Buying League Equipment at Peligro in Washington Heights - Keep it Real
- Carrying Shit to the Field - balls, masks, books, etc - sucks
- Traffic - always sucks
- Phone calls and text messages galore - sucks
- Paying officials and insurance - a necessity
- Managing my team - of course my pen ran out - annoying. I had like 20 players show up which is awesome b/c you can never really over recruit. But getting them all in the game was challenging, but I have to give them all mad love b/c they were so cool about it.
P.S. I would like to thank original NY West manager and lead SBI analyst John Sheppard for allowing me to use the West NY name.
I promise to make you proud Sheppy