Team Review : West NY
Final Standing : Champion
Insider Analysis: Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde
as we won, had talent and few holes, and partied a lot
Mister Hyde - numerous reasons that the team was schizophrenic and not shangri la
1. Once our guys were there they were no problem, but getting guys to show up was hell between travel, late game times, and face it the league was in Jersey. (over half the team was from NY). It was a logistical nightmare. We actually played several games with only 9 guys and some with only 8. We need a new manger next year or we will fold. I can't do this again.
2. We lost all 4 games by one run and nearly were eliminated in the semi-finals.
3. Weather - we had over 10 rain outs and/or cancellations. The most painful was a Game 3 semi-final game on a make-up Friday night that was cancelled after one inning because of a freak thunderstorm. One inning so frustrating.
4. I ran the league and at times I was subject to a conflict of interests.
5. I was also the manager and had to make unpopular decisions that for the most part worked out. Props to Jimmy Meyers as a special softball consultant.
1. Ironically one of my proudest moments was a game we lost 5-4. We played a top team with only 8 players and actually had a 4-2 lead in the 7th before we were defeated.
2. We played three games on 2 consecutive nights in the middle of a blazing hot July and won them all. The final two was a double header with only 9 guys and in each game came back from early deficits to rally. Ironically, being short guys was a gift and curse
3. Honorable Mention to Jimmy Meyers and Dino for Championship MVP honors on both sides of the ball and of course to the team cooler