Wednesday, June 15, 2016

SBI Reboot Series: Kobayashi Maru

A reboot means to discard all continuity in an established series in order to recreate its characters, timeline and back story from the beginning. Reboots have become popular in our society lately as evidence by:
  • TV Shows
  • Music
  • Comic Book 
  • Video Games
  • Movies
One of my favorite Reboots is the Star Trek



In the scene above they reboot the Kobayashi Maru:  a test in the fictional universe of Star Trek. It's a training exercise designed to test the character of cadets in a no-win scenario. Yeah I am a geek and know and love this shit.

Actually the Kobayashi Maru is a classic insider blog from a few years ago that needs to rebooted. You see recently I was place in Kobayashi Maru softball position.

Situation: I was asked to view an audition of a pitcher who currently resides on the BASL pitcher ban list.  This is a a no-win scenario; a true Sb Kobayashi Maru.

Why? If pitcher is granted an audition, then

(1) If he is reinstated the ban list becomes like a crack in the damn and the whole thing bursts. Everyone wants back in. The league loses and completely falls apart.

(2) If he is given an audition and told no, Everyone's time has been wasted, I get yelled at by the team requesting the audition, and I also get yelled at by everyone else as they all have a fucking opinion. Another Loser Scenario.

The league is in a fragile place now. The last thing we need is more Klingons firing phasers.

So what did I do?  I did what Captain Kirk did in that scene above; I changed the rules of the SB Kobayashi Maru. I disallowed any auditions on the grounds that rules cannot be changed mid-season and the new lists supersedes any prior audition rules. I broke tradition. Yeah I know this is a bit outside of the lines, but I'm not afraid of sticking to my non NRA guns, fuck it, and to borrow another star Trek Reboot phrase "The Needs of the Many Outweigh the Needs of the Few or the One".

Is this a mistake?  Let's see. I know we are all conditioned to avoid mistakes, play it safe, but everything in my being tell me now is the Time to Play, not squabble.  The only scenario that matter is Win or Loss on the field, not off of it.

Beam Me Up Marcus.

No comments:

Post a Comment